Popayan Decaf Cuaca, ColombiaPicacho Coffee Roasters
Popayan Decaf Cuaca, Colombia
Single Origin Coffee
STAR FRUIT, HONEY, ORANGE AND CARAMEL
Roast: Medium-Dark (Full City +)
Varietal: CATURRA, CASTILLO
Farmer: Corporative grown in the Popayan region
This coffee is produced by selected farms in Popayan region. Coffee is brought from growers in dry parchment, it is later milled at Popayan and transported to Caldas to be decaffeinated.
This decaffeination process in unique, the caffeine is extracted from the bean using sugar cane and water which enhances sweetness, while maintaining coffee attributes.
This technique was developed in Colombia
- Green coffee is received, sorted and prepared for processing.
- Coffee is steamed for 30 minutes prior to decaffeination.
- A low-pressure steaming process has opened the pores of the coffee, allowing for caffeine extraction.
- Coffee is placed in a solution of water and Ethyl Acetate (E.A.) a naturally occurring compound and solvent derived through the fermentation of sugarcane.
- Green coffee is submerged in the solvent, which naturally bonds to the salts of chlorogenic acids within the coffee, allowing for the extraction of caffeine.
- Once the coffee is saturated, the tank is drained and fresh solution is introduced. This continues for about 8 hours.
- After the last of caffeine has been extracted, the coffee is removed from the solution and prepped for another steaming.
- The final low-pressure steaming removes the remaining traces of E.A.
- Decaffeinated coffee is then dried, physically polished to ensure cleanliness, and packaged to export.